Monday, December 29, 2008


Audio Book Review

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Sookie Stackhouse Series Book 1


I picked this book because I have heard it mentioned so many times in almost all the paranormal groups I’ve been a part of. Furthermore, after the release of the HBO True Blood series, the talk got more incessant, that I finally have to satisfy my curiosity and pick the book.

I actually ended with an audio book, pleasantly narrated by Johanna Parker, I was immediately captivated by the chatter of Sookie’s mind. A bar waitress with a psychic “disability” of reading other people’s thoughts, she was pleased to meet the new vampire in town, Bill, that can give her the relaxing quiet of a mind that is immune to her power.

After saving each other from a vicious couple that tried to drain Bill of his vampiric blood, Sookie and Bill started to form a romantic relationship. Their union is challenge by a recent slate of murders where either Bill and Sookie’s brother became top suspect. When it became clear that Sookie is the next intended victim, the plot starts to really thickens, as she learns more about her vampire lover and the political structure of their society, as she dealt with prejudice from her town folks, and learn secrets from people she thought she knew already.

I enjoyed the book, laughing at Sookie’s crazy monologue and her sometimes ditzy but oddly profound observation of life. The reader's voice is so appropriate, and I feel her performance made the experience more enjoyable. I’m eager to know what happened more, and is waiting for the next book to arrive at my doorstep.

If you like vampires, some southern humor, an interesting heroine, you might like to check this series.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Sookie series. It's very well written. TY for stopping by my blog .

    ReplyDelete