Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Kiss of Fire: A Dragonfire Novel Kiss of Fire: A Dragonfire Novel by Deborah Cooke


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars


A world of shape-shifting dragon warriors. A self-reliant loner blacksmith. A bookstore-owner ace accountant. A fated meeting that can change the course of destiny.

I picked Kiss of Fire from the library because I was intrigued with the idea of shape-shifting dragons, and I’m always on the look-out for a new paranormal series to read. Furthermore, with the second book besides it, Kiss of Fury, it guarantees me the chance to read the next one if I like the first.

Kiss of Fire is about Sara Keegan, an ace accountant who now runs a New Age bookstore she inherited from her recently deceased aunt. After nearly killed by a mysterious stranger, she was saved by what she thought was a dragon. Truth be told, it was Quinn Tyrell, a Pyr, a race of beings that can shape-shift into dragons. He is also the Smith with power over metals, and according to prophecy Sara, unknown to her is the Seer. Fated by destiny and the advent of “firestorm”, a mating signal that pulls them to each unequivocably, Sara was drawn into the magical world of the Pyr, and the man who claims to be her mate and protector. Meanwhile, Quinn has to confront his own misconceptions of his past, learn to trust and work with his fellow Pyr, and follow what his heart wants.

I enjoyed the book. Deborah Cooke’s prose is pretty simple and very readable. There is almost a childlike quality to the words, that makes the story just flow. What I love most is her descriptions of the dragons, most especially the focus on their colors. The fight scenes among the Pyr was also well done, and I can actually close my eyes and see them battling in the skies.

I also like the hero and the heroine, although the attraction between them seem to happen just too fast. I guess, the fated element is in play here, so there is not much struggling on their part on being together. There is also the introduction of the other Pyrs who obviously will be playing lead roles in the next books I assume. I’m sure she will expand more on the world she has created for the Pyr and the Slayers in the next stories to come.

Overall, I would recommend this book with some reservation. Some readers might find the romance a little too simplistic, but for a quick, light read with some magic and fantasy meld in, Kiss of Fire is not a bad choice


View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment