Monday, January 5, 2009

Book Review: The Road to Hell by Jackie Kessler


The Road to Hell by Jackie Kessler
Hell on Earth series #2

Jesse, the ex-succubus turned mortal stripper, is back. Now settling into mortal existence, complete with her shiny new soul, and enjoying the delights of love with her sweetie, Paul, Jesse thought that hell has forgotten all about her. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Though human, somehow she can still see malefic entities as they, under Hell’s new management directives, now actively abet mankind to commit sin and destruction, instead of just waiting for humans to give in to temptation. Furthermore, she has a missing Fury bestfriend to find,a persistent former fuck-buddy incubus to fend, and a vindictive queen to avoid. Jesse's problems just got bigger and bigger. To top the list, former queen of Lust Lilith steals Paul’s soul, and Jesse is forced to journey back to Hell to retrieve it.

This time our intrepid heroine will battle for her choices, her love for Paul, her belief in who she is, her friendships, even to the point of a confrontation with the new Boss of Hell.

I picked up The Road to Hell, even though I was planning to read another book instead, because I cannot resist it after finishing Hell’s Belles. Once again, I was able to finish this book in a short time, flying through the pages. Now, used to Kessler’s witty, hip prose, I still find myself giggling at some of her expressions, although once in a while, I frowned at her repetitive phrasings.

I still like Jesse, and I was rooting for her all the way. There are plenty of interesting endearing characters, including a beautiful, dim-witted angel trying to learn how to be a Seducer. But the one who stole the show for me is Daunuan. This incubus, with his seductive wiles, just leaped off the page and commanded attention. Because of my fascination with this character, I can't wait to read the third book, Hotter than Hell, because it is the sexy incubus' book.

I have to admit I’m not a deep philosophical reader, but I know that there is some profound message in this book, underneath the fluffy storyline. You can’t help it but feel the undercurrent of something more.

After a few moments of pondering, I came to the conclusion that The Road to Hell, Kessler’s follow up to her delightful Hell’s Belles, is a story of love and friendship, of making choices and being true to who you are. I give this book 5 stars over 5 for the amount of fun I had reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment