Monday, January 12, 2009

Book Review: Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling


Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling

I picked this thin book from the library, without really meaning to get it. However, since I loved the Harry Potter series, and seeing that it was simply sitting there on the shelf, I grabbed it and added it to my pile of books to take home.

The book is a collection of stories, the wizarding world’s version of the Muggles’ (term for humans) fairy tales. Each story comes with notes from Dumbledore, revealing little tidbits about this great wizard and more insights on the world of Harry Potter.

I breezed through the book easily, finding the stories simple and easy to read. My favorite would be The Three Brothers, the same story that was referred to in the last Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I found some of the stories better than others; some with clearer lessons to share and others I feel were just slightly silly.

Overall, I was not overly impressed with the book. But aware that they were simple tales, I did not really raise my expectation high. For me, the feeling I got when I read it, is this, “This is cool. Now, I can say, I read this book.” As a Harry Potter fan, I just simply felt closure that I was able to read another book associated with the series. I’m sure the other Harry Potter readers probably feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment